Sunday, January 31, 2016

Be Well Even in Winter

This is a time of year that the winter blues can set in for some people, which adds to the propensity for respiratory infections and colds/flu this time of year. I wanted to share one of the ways that I help myself to heal faster from acute illness and best of all ward illness off from ever taking a foot hold.

I sit in an infra red sauna about 3 times a week for about 20 minutes. I didn't start out like this, but I've been sitting in a sauna for many years and I've worked up to the time and frequency that I'm currently at. The sauna is not for everyone, but it can be super beneficial for most people. If you suffer from adrenal fatigue, are pregnant or suffer from another chronic illness, the sauna may or may not be for you and you should check with your doctor first. That being said, the sauna is an excellent way to take time for yourself and to assist your body in its detoxification process. The benefits are numerous from there.

A sweet looking sauna located in Canada.


My husband has two saunas in his clinic and I'm fortunate to be able to sit in the sauna just about any time I see fit. You may not have that luxury, but it is possible you might find a spa or clinic near you that may have sauna package and typically the cost is very reasonable. It is such a great way to warm up from a chilly day and we still have several chilly winter days ahead. Here is a link to my husband's blog about the benefits of some sauna time. Treat yourself today. click here

There are other ways to ensure wellness as the winter blues hit. This is a great time of year to put plans in place for mile markers and wellness goals that you'd like to set for the year. I've done this and it is my goal to condition myself to climb a 14er in the fall of this year. The thought climbing a 14er is somewhat intimidating since I haven't hiked a 14er since my 20s, but this is a very doable goal, yet challenging. My focus is set and I know what I have to do to be successful.

Another goal that I've set for myself this year is to cultivate more joy and pleasure in my life. When we experience joy and pleasure, we also naturally receive a boost in what is called Nitric Oxide. This is an important life giving gas, not the toxic kind that is important for cardiovascular health and so much more. By the way, negative thoughts and feelings can reduce your Nitric Oxide levels, so turning those feelings around as quickly as possible is so important to your health. Check out a post by Christine Northrup for more information on this topic. click here

There are many other things you can do to stay well and ward off the winter blues, but these are a few good was to start.

Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment