Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Not Your Normal Reaction


We live in an ever increasing toxic world. That said, most of us are toxic to a certain degree, but those with chronic illness and in particular with autoimmune diseases, these individuals typically have a high toxic burden. This is primarily because their bodies have more complication with eliminating toxins. This is where genetics can play a really important role because methylation pathways are key in eliminating toxins. If there are genetic SNPs these become a stumbling block unless you have the proper set of keys to unlock these SNPs being very specific supplementation to support the body's natural processes that have been stopped by a set of genes that have been passed down. It is possible to help the body that is more challenged by detox processes.

I am chelating with oral DMSA because of an abnormal toxic load of Mercury, Lead and others. These are commonly found in autoimmune patients and Lyme patients. I was told by my doc prior to my heavy metal challenge that he had only ever seen one autoimmune patient that didn't have a heavy metal burden that was abnormal. I'm thankful to have a doctor who is taking into account my personal genetic SNPs alongside my oral chelation. Most doctors just chelate without giving consideration to genetic SNPs. Why do I think this is such an important consideration? Because chelation lowers the immune system. Strengthening and opening up my methylation pathways will be key in helping my body to detox and eliminate properly so that my immune system can remain strong. Even still my immune system will likely get a run for its money while I am chelating.

I had Mastitis a couple of weeks ago - very painful. Moms out there may be able to relate. This is the strange and rare thing… this is usually an infection that a breast feeding mother would contract. I'm not a mom, at least not to a human and I'm not breast feeding either, but then this is me we are talking about. I'm not the norm.  I had a biopsy many years ago for a recurrent issue in my right breast. It is common that they place a titanium tag with a biopsy for easy relocation of a problem area. That said, I am one of those rare individuals whose body is not happy with the titanium. Titanium is typically a benign metal for "most" people. I'm not most people. I've contemplated having it removed for several years because it has caused much excruciating pain among a number of other problems. I thought perhaps the oral chelation might have been the cause of the irritation and yes it was likely my immune system being lowered from chelation that opened me up to infection but not from loosening of the titanium from the tissue. DMSA has a higher affinity for Mercury and Lead. Titanium is much lower on the list if at all for DMSA chelation. All things considered I believe it may be time to remove the tag.
Mercury Amalgam   http://www.drchrispatten.com/heavy-metal-toxicity/


That leads me to the consideration of also having my amalgam fillings replaced with a more bio compatible material and so that my amalgams are not adding insult to injury with the oral chelation. I'll have to budget for this and perhaps consider one filling at a time. When the time comes to replace the fillings my doc will adjust chelation protocols before and after the procedure to mitigate any additional Mercury poisoning, which is a common occurrence after having amalgam fillings removed. Even if the procedure is done by a Bio Dentist in an extremely safe manner, this can still be a potential problem, but is less likely.

In addition to a lowered immune system with chelation, individuals with a propensity toward Candida overgrowth will likely experience an increase while chelating. This is something that is happening with me, so I will complete another 5 day course of Nystatin and Diflucan as needed. I also had to take a course of Cephalexin antibiotics for the Mastitis. We all know that antibiotics can also increase the overgrowth of Candida, so now it is up to me to eat well and get my rest during this cold and flu season that may bring me some challenges.





The great news or the upside of the antibiotics is that it killed off some of the Lyme and although Cephalexin is in the Penicillin family, I never got hives. I have to attribute that to my really smart doc who took into consideration a particular genetic SNP that I have, the particular antibiotic I was on and helped me by increasing certain minerals and supplements while on the course of antibiotics and for 5 days following, so that my body would be less likely to have my typical allergic reaction. Yay for no hives! Thanks doc!

Despite the Mastitis and also a flare up with my neck pain, my body seems to recover more quickly than it has in the past and it seems to be more readily using the tools and information I am giving it. I'm hopeful that one day soon I'll be writing about "turning the corner" and I'll be thrilled to share that with all of you.

There are not a lot of practitioners out there that have a strong understanding of epigenetics and nutrigenomics, but genes are so key if you are chronically ill and not seeing any improvement with your effort. So, if you find yourself struggling with a chronic health issue and never really seeing much improvement for your efforts, it might be time to consider empowering yourself with the knowledge of your own genetic SNPs and finding someone who understands how that information can actually help you to get well.

Cheers to your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment