Sunday, May 6, 2012

Set Backs are Part of the Journey

So, I’ve had a sinus infection for the past two weeks and the timing could not have been worse. It threw a wrench into my plans. I was supposed to retest for H. Pylori on May 6th, but in order to do so, I would have had to go off all my supplements, which is required for these particular labs. Well, I was unable to do that because it would have left my immune system vulnerable at a time when it was working on over drive. My Naturopath had to talk some sense into me and tell me to wait to retest because it was best that I stay on my supplements until my sinus infection passed. I guess we all need the voice of reason when we are ill. I was glad to take her advice and my sinus infection is finally gone, but my retesting is delayed a week. That doesn’t sound like much, but when you have to wait for 3 weeks to get results back an additional week seems like a good chunk of time. Well, I’m anxious for results and they should be back around the beginning of June. I’m glad the sinus infection is gone and I’m anxious to be able to move on to healing my gut, that said I want to address a gluten free diet and my view after being gluten free for more than 2 years.


GLUTEN FREE

There was a great article this month in the Natural Living publication that is put out by Sunflower Markets. I really enjoy and look forward to this free publication. The article was called Gluten Free Upgrade and it really summed up my view on how a Gluten Free diet or any diet should be approached in order to have a nutrient dense diet. The point is that we should all be getting the majority of our nutrients from our food, but the problem is no matter how healthy any of us are with regard to proper diet, our soil is becoming more and more depleted of necessary nutrients and therefore supplements become necessary for some of us, if not all of us. In my case I have an issue with malabsorption, so despite how healthy I eat, I am very deficient in many vitamins and minerals, so it is therefore necessary for me to take certain supplements which have been recommended by my doctor based on lab results. The most important part of any diet is that we are eating a whole foods diet. For a definition of whole foods diet: Whole Foods Diet

In many cases after being diagnosed with an auto immune disease, which requires you to remove gluten from your diet or if it is because some health issue that creates a sensitivity or intolerance to gluten... many individuals start with replacing items such as pizza, pastries and breads with gluten free alternatives. This is not ideal and replacing processed items in the diet for gluten free processed items such as white rice flours, potato flours, xantham gum, guar gum… is not the way to go. When going gluten free it is important to view this as an adventure in discovering new foods. There are so many nutrient dense naturally gluten free foods in their whole form. Quinoa, Buckwheat, Amaranth, Brown rice, Wild Rice, Gluten Free Oats… As for baked goods I was an awesome baker prior to going gluten free and my friends and family always reaped and enjoyed the benefits. When I went gluten free it was a challenge and I really didn’t do any baking for almost a year and then I started experimenting. Some things were a success and some a huge failure, but I learned from all of it and I came to the conclusion that almond flour is my most favorite gluten free flour to bake with for so many reasons. It makes the most nutritious and yummy goods ever… better than baked goods that are not gluten free and they are protein packed and full of good fats. Unfortunately this may not be the best option for those with a nut allergy, but trust me there are other good options out there for individuals with nut allergies. There is a fabulous cookbook that I discovered written by a local woman in Boulder, CO. She and her son were diagnosed with Celiac disease and she felt there was a need for such a book and I agree. Check out Elana Amsterdam’s blog and cookbooks here: Elana's Pantry

As for whole foods diet, I love this cookbook, Whole Life Nutrition, because it mirrors much the way I’m used to cooking and expands my repertoire. I also like it because it was recommended by a couple of my doctors and if you are wondering if you have food allergies or sensitivities there is a great “28 day Elimination Diet” guide. Elimination diets are truly the best way to discover food allergies and sensitivities: Whole Life Nutritiion

This diet was how my doctor figured out I had parasites because I literally reacted to every food that was added back into my diet. It was a pretty good indicator, which we then confirmed by lab tests for parasites that came back positive. The parasites are now gone (see prior posts).

PSORIASIS

In addition to a gluten free diet, which usually indicates an individual has digestive issues, digestive issues can result in an auto immune disease called Psoriasis. Definition for Psoriasis: Psoriasis

Psoriasis is something I have suffered from for many years.

More information about relation between Cardiovascular disease and Psoriasis: Cardiovascular Disease linked to Psoriasis

I wanted to address Psoriasis because on May 20th there will be a Walk to Cure Psoriasis and it is locally held at Sloan’s Lake. To sign up, go here: Walk to Cure Psoriasis

A story of a little girl, she reminds me very much of myself when I was her age, who will be participating in the walk and is afflicted with Psoriasis and Arthritis.


HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

…And last but not least I want to acknowledge all the mothers out there and the importance of their nurturing qualities. There are so many great mothers in my life past and present and certainly there will be in the future. Although I don’t have human children, I do have two furry kids and I love them dearly. I don’t know what I would do without their unconditional love. Happy Mother’s Day! Treat yourselves well. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment