Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My Genetic Journey


I recently consulted with a doctor who focuses on functional medicine and biochemistry with particular knowledge in epigenetics and nutrigenomics. There are very few individuals with this type of expertise as these areas of study (epigenetics and nutrigenomics) are so new. My main focus was to have him review overall symptoms related to my genetic SNPs report. He reviewed some recent labs, my current supplement and lifestyle regimen and coupled that with the overall symptom picture. In most cases I would not have invested the time or money. Trust me, it was not an inexpensive consult ($350 for initial consult/$150 for follow up, OUCH!), but it is truly my feeling that the most progress has been made with my complicated case since we have started to scratch the surface with addressing my genetic SNPs and I wanted an expert to weigh in (mind you, I don’t think anyone is an expert in this area of practice yet due to how new these areas are, but some are more so than others because they have chosen to focus their efforts here). I believe that opening up my methylation pathways has made a key difference in everything else that we are doing including treating the Lyme. I just wish we had done something like this sooner. It is the first time in three years that I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I’m not feeling like things are “sort of working,” I know that they are and it is not just because of one thing that we are doing. I truly believe that what the future holds for complicated cases will be amazing and it already is because personalized medicine is becoming a very real thing. It is my hope that when I go back to school that I will be exposed to learning more about genetic mutations and how to address them effectively, because I hope to help others one day feel like they too can lift the cloud they have always lived under.  All this aside, I have to give true kudos to all my practitioners who started the effort in the first place and who encouraged genetic testing and who have been doing some things that are really right no matter how complicated. This is very leading edge stuff (my technical term, Ha!) in medicine.

The added benefit of talking with this doctor is that he has Chronic Lyme too, so not only was he very understanding of my case, but he was really was able to put the pieces of the puzzle together for me with regard to my specific genetic SNPs. Though, he admits he is not an expert on Lyme. I have a heterozygous HLA mutation, which means it is extremely difficult for me to clear biotoxins from my body. He made several protocol suggestions including a Lipid Exchange protocol that I believe will be helpful and I’m hoping that my Naturopaths are open to some of his ideas. I may not have agreed with everything and my NDs may not either, but I came away from the consult feeling like he had definitely added value and good insight.
On another note I will be starting my clinical fast this month, so wish me luck. I hope that I will have good news for you on the results. If nothing more, I know I will feel good. I always feel good after a fast.
I know there will still be bumps in the road, but I’m so grateful for my wonderful unwavering practitioners who have supported me along the way and continue to support me. I know that I still have a long road ahead, but I look forward to what the future holds and I’m hopeful that my body will one day function as it was meant to with just a little help on my part. We’re getting there!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, so glad I found your blog! I have HLA B27 antigen (presents as reactive arthritis), hypothyroidism and had to have my gallbladder removed a year ago. Personally I kinda fired all my doctors except a Naturopath whom I see every so often. ;-) lol! I don't currently have thyroid issues, went from 20 to 3, and my arthritis is barely active, but still there. Currently doing a raw food week with hubby to hopefully banish all the last fragments of disease, or at least start to. Will be following your travels with interest :-)

    ReplyDelete