Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Yummy for my Tummy

My hives and nausea are gone and best of all the H. Pylori has been booted out of my system as well. WOOHOO! Now it is time for all things slimy. Yummo! I am almost 3 weeks in to healing my oh so damaged gut. My protocol for the first 6 weeks consists of the following: 

Designs for health - GI Revive 
Aloe Vera Gel - 1 oz 2x/day
Bone broth - 1 cup most days
Super-Bio Pro (probiotic)

GI Revive consists of L-Glutamine, which is very important for healing the gut lining, 
Citrus Pectic
Licorice root
Aloe Vera
Slippery Elm
Mucin
Marshmallow root
... and so many other very slimy, good for the tummy ingredients.

Marshmallow Root
Thanks to everyone who supported me through the difficult ups and downs of trying to rid my body of  all the nasty bugs that were all too comfortable taking up residence in my body. I'm so glad to see them go and my hope has returned. This was a huge hurdle to overcome in healing my body.

I cannot say that at 3 weeks in to my gut healing protocol that I feel very different, but just knowing all the bugs are gone is such a mental relief. I suspect it will take a few months before I feel significant improvement. After I reach 6 weeks on the protocol, my Naturopathic Doctor will be evaluating where I'm at in my healing process and my supplements will most likely be tweaked a bit and hopefully I'll be seeing some improvement in Psoriasis and other inflammatory conditions near the beginning of October perhaps even before that. 

I also have to run labs at 4 weeks in. These labs will include a complete thyroid panel, CBC, Cholesterol, etc. My normal annual labs. Labs always stress me out a little, because everything is always so uncertain for me. My Naturopath and I are both a little concerned about the current status of my thyroid. I've had recent unexplained weight gain and the left lobe of my thyroid appears slightly enlarged, so it will be interesting to see if my labs reveal anything new. She assures me that she has a plan if my thyroid is in fact on the fritz.

Once my gut is  healed, the next step will be another elimination diet and allergy testing, so that I will be able to get a more accurate indication of what I am intolerant to. This will provide a better indication of what must be avoided, so that I don't cause further damage to the lining of my gut. Depending on how I feel once the elimination diet is complete, then we'll be able to determine if we need to move forward with testing for heavy metals, Lyme disease and who knows what else.

In addition to the above protocol, I've taken it upon myself to avoid the following for the first 6 weeks of healing my gut: Alcohol, Caffeine, Chocolate, Sugar, All Grains, Legumes and Dairy, which I avoid for the most part anyway.

This was not something my Naturopath instructed me to do, I just decided to do this on my own in the hopes that it will help to shorten the healing time and it was something I figured would be good for me anyway. You could say that my diet is primarily what is considered Paleo at the moment.

I had my second BUBL meeting at the Denver Integrative Massage School (DIMS) in their new space. We had a great conversation that was informative and we learned about the benefits of Thai Yoga Massage. We look forward to circling back around to a future meeting at the school.

Our next meeting is with Dr. Meyer at Highlands Health & Wellness (32nd & Newton, Denver, CO), where Dr. Meyer will be talking about the importance of an anti-inflammatory diet, what it is and how someone with an autoimmune condition will benefit. We will meet on Thursday, August 23rd at 6:30 p.m. We hope to see you there. Please RSVP by August 21st to BUBL.Denver@gmail.com

Thanks for all your support and I will keep you posted on the status of my tummy!

9 comments:

  1. Glad you are rid of the parasites and working on your gut! Good luck, healing the gut is a long process. It does sound like your thyroid is acting up, but I'm sure your diet will definitely help with that.

    It's nice to read about any measure of success in this battle that only those of us with a similar issue can relate to--I get it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, Me too, I'm so glad to be rid of them and able to move on to healing the gut. I know I may be in for a long haul with the gut healing. I could not agree with you more... it is so nice to feel some measure of success after all the hard work and effort. We have to celebrate any success along this crazy journey. They are few and far between. I know there will be future challenges, but for now I'm going to enjoy this accomplishment. I'll give an update on the status of my thyroid once we have the labs back.

      Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  2. I'm a new follower, but boy is it good to hear someone is having some success. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Army wife & mom, Welcome! Thanks for your well wishes. I hope that you will find this post and all previous and future posts helpful in your journey. I know how frustrating it can be at times and it is so important to celebrate the successes along the way. My success is in no small part due to a great group of practitioners (my team) that I have assembled to help me on my journey in seeking health and healing. I hope that you will feel supported and visit often. I post about once a month. Feel free to shoot me an email anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you posted an update...and SO glad that you have something positive to report! I learn a great deal from your posts. You are so open and thorough in your explanations of what is happening. The BUBL meetings sound wonderful - informative and fun.

    Sending healing thoughts to you and your gut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support zen thyroid. I'm glad you learn from my posts and that you enjoy the candid nature. If you're in the Denver area, I encourage you to come to a BUBL meeting. I'm considering doing some conference calls in the future that out of state individuals could dial into for FREE. I'll keep you posted on future meetings.

      Delete
  5. Hello~

    Would be interested in becoming a ThyroidChange member? Both Armywifeandmom and zen thyroid are on our team :-)

    ThyroidChange (www.thyroidchange.org) is a grassroots campaign created by thyroid patients to increase access to better treatment methods and testing by uniting blogger, websites, physicians and organization in the thyroid community. We started with a petition, but in 3 months have morphed into a 76 country, 4200+ worldwide network for change.

    We would love to list you as a Member and/or petition supporter. The only thing we ask in return is that you post a link or blog about us. We are trying to reach as many patients as possible!

    Hope to welcome you to ThyroidChange soon.

    Warm Regards,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, I posted in my blog back on July 1st about your petition. I think what you are doing is important. I signed your petition at Merrit Bachman as well as your facebook page. If there is another way I should be a supporter, please let me know. Keep up the great work.

      Have you heard about House Bill 6218 that would establish a Autoimmune Disease Interdepartmental Coordinating Committee. It is a step in the right direction. I'll be meeting with my state rep to advocate/lobby on behalf of those with autoimmune disorders by telling mu story.

      Delete
  6. Hi! Am so interested to hear how this is going for you. I've recently begun to attempt to heal my gut too and have started on a thyroid diet. The protocol you're following sounds interesting. Wishing you all the best and hope it's going well!

    ReplyDelete